Re: [Shotimes] new y-pipe purchase

To: shotimes <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] new y-pipe purchase
From: Mark Nunnally <marknunnally@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:01:29 -0400
> I tried a catless Y-pipe on Abigail and took it back off as soon as I could.
> Unless you are running a blower track car, a catless Y-pipe is a bad idea on
> a SHO.  1) SHOs need the backpressure to make torque.  You will lose torque.
> 2) If you get caught driving a catless car on the street the crime is
> federal and the fine is hefty.

Ironically, none of the (at least the old SS unit and PP/FPS unit) are legal
either, even with cats since none were EPA/CARB approved.  So while it may
pass the visual inspection, technically, it's still a modification to an
emissions control device (same as a tweecer, etc) with a non CARB approved
device.

I ran a catless pipe on my 92 (and old 89) at the track simply because
sustained high rpm on a lean(er) burn AF ratio is hard on the cats.  I have
a PP pipe w/ cats for the street.

Whichever one you get, if you are looking for max performance dump the 2.25"
oulet and go to 2.5" or 2.75"

mark