RE: [Shotimes] new y-pipe purchase

To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] new y-pipe purchase
From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:11:54 -0400
Everyone needs to keep in mind that the term "backpressure" is a misnomer. I get
the impression that when folks think of "backpressure", they envision a potato
in the exhaust pipe.....or something along those lines.

Probably without using the exact engineering terms that I don't feel like
looking up at this time of the night, the actual effect are the exhaust pulses
that produce the return wave up the pipe, which helps to further extract exhaust
gasses. The extraction happens at a lower rpm in a small diameter pipe, and at
higher rpm in a bigger pipe.

You can play with the PCM programming al you want, but there are some basics of
physics here that tuning can't get around. Sure, the factory tuning can cause
some weird stuff to happen when the pipe diameter and size changes, and big
pipes can make the engine perform more poorly with the stock tuning, but big
pipes (either physically, or by removing the cats) will definitely move the
torque curve farther up the rpm band.

Opening up the exhaust system n a small /a engine like the SHO will probably
always show a peak HP increase on a dyno, but it will be at the expense of
killing the torque below that point. And you can't get this back with EEC
tuning.

Ron Porter