Re: [Shotimes] new y-pipe purchase

To: <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] new y-pipe purchase
From: "Adam Parrott" <parrotta@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:00:00 -0500
While Jon almost hit the nail on the head, I feel I should step in and add a
bit of clarity to my original statement before things start to get out of
control.

When I said that SHO engines do NOT require backpressure to make power, I
meant exactly what I said - backpressure does NOT make power, nor do we need
it to make or increase power on an engine like the V6 SHO.  What we DO need,
however, is sufficient and effective exhaust gas velocity contained inside a
properly-sized and properly-designed exhaust system.  I think it is these two
terms - backpressure and exhaust gas velocity - that have become crossed over
the years and subsequently caused a great deal of confusion.  Crack open any
reputable high school physics book, flip to the section on fluid dynamics and
you'll see what I'm talking about.

For those who may still have doubts about what I'm saying and/or would like to
read more on this subject, I would refer you specifically to the posts made by
the long-standing and very knowledgeable Ted Breaux in this SHOForum thread
here:

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=62722

As most of you know, Ted has more personal experience with this particular
subject than most of us combined (especially as it relates to V6 SHOs) and has
already expertly answered just about every question that could be posed on the
subject.

Adam