Re: garage heat (no mog content0

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: garage heat (no mog content0
From: Gary Kneisley <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 10:44:48 -0500
At 02:09 PM 11/7/97 -0500, you wrote:

Will and all,

Having just gone through the issue with a local heating contractor, garage
heat has lots of ramifications.  The primary reason to heat is to protect
the vehicle from rust and moisture.  Heating saturated air lowers the
relative humidity and makes life dryer for the car.  In Ohio the outside air
is extremely humid in the winter, and inside the house it becomes cracking,
zapping dry.

However, combustion creates moisture, so when you burn something in the room
with the car, the added moisture may well increase the Relative Humidity
inside the garage, even though it becomes warmer. And the flame becomes a
concern. I'm not too comfortable having a flame inside my garage considering
the fuel vapor which oozes from the Mog (along with other assorted liquids).

The best way is infra-red heat, which heats objects rather than air, so when
you open the door, the heat exchange is not so rapid.  However, that again
involves a flame.

My solution, though not the cheapest, has been to install a through the wall
heater, which pulls outside air into the combustion chamber, and vents
burned air to the outside.  The heat exchanger and fan move inside air
across a heated surface and blows it into the garage.

The furnace will be installed this week, and I'll know next year if my HVAC
guy was right.

If the garage had a higher ceiling and room for a chimney, I would have gone
with Infra-Red heat, but with an 8 foot ceiling and second story attic above
it couldn't happen.

You are right about electric heat.  It gets very expensive at $.20/kwh.  But
for short term might be better, because the installation is a lot less than
a small through-wall furnace.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Grafton, OH