Re: Religious War?... Help for a neophyte

To: Charles A Harris <harris_simmons@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Religious War?... Help for a neophyte
From: "Robert K. Alexander" <ralex@unm.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 11:32:10 -0800 (PST)
Chuck, Lance, Gentlemen:

I'm afraid we're beginning to get into a bit of a scientific muddle on
the question of Morgan evolution, and I want to share some important
recent findings of which you may not yet be aware.

About two months ago, I was privileged to attend a lecture by renowned
British archaeologist Sarah Anne Elizabeth Darwin, grandaughter of Sir
Whitworth, concerning her recent excavations at site Severn 14, located near
Glouster on the north bank of the Severn River some 15 miles south of
Malvern.  It appears that there are indeed some bog-like conditions in fossil
oxbows of the river, and the above cited site has yielded some incredible
evidence that is forcing us to revise not only our earlier theories of Morgan
evolution, but of evolutionary process itself.

It seems that Prof. Whitworth, at Dr. Leakey's suggestion, had initially
opened the site with a series of test pits back in the late fourties and had
recovered some preliminary evidence that the site contained Morgan remains,
including - in addition to the more common metaliferous, plastic and glass
fragments - some remarkably well preserved organic materials including
skeletal materials thought to be some species of ash and hides that are
believed to be of the species Connolly that once occupied the region in some
numbers.  Sir Whitworth's sudden death left plans for continued excavation
uncertain until Dr. S.A.E. Darwin was able to continue the excavations again
last year.

Her news of her findings left us all stunned.  First, she found a rather
large group of Morgans (she estimates between 8 to 15) on the south side of
the site in what could only be considered a humanly constructed corral or
barn-type structure.  Other areas of the site are also yielding human remains
including some burials that physically belong to a group of Archaic Humans
known previously only from Swanscomb, England. It seems the site is so
ancient that it is well beyond the range of radiocarbon analysis. According
to the best geochronological and pollen data, the site appears to be well
over 130,000 years old!  If these dates hold and her interpretation of the
context of Morgans in a barn/corral is accurate as it seems to be, this can
only mean that humans were attempting to (perhaps had) domesticated the
Morgan and that if so, this is unquestionably the earliest evidence for
domestication yet world-wide.  By comparison, it makes the process in the
Near East and Southern Asia appear as though it happened yesterday by
comparison.

Subspecies identification of the Morgan remains is presently being
attempted, but it appears that there were none of the three-wheel variety
in this particular group.  They simply may have been too wild to tame and
harness into human use.  We must remember that there is very little meat
on these and they may have been used for sport more than sustenance, but
of course this is now pure speculation.

One final bit of interesting information came to light concerning the rare
+4+. A fragment of fiberglass that appears to be the uppermost portion of a
species of Lotus (Elan, I think she said) was found bound to the centerpost
of what was probably the chief's hut.  S.A.E. believes this indicates a
ritual practice something like hanging scalps on tipi doorways in Oglala
tradition.  Also, she found undeniable evidence of a +4+ carcass in the
center of the site lashed to a pile of stones.  It appeared that it had
been chopped and sliced in the area around the engine bay. And several
significant portions were missing - the wheels were gone as were segments
of break lines, and there were no carburators - a peculiar mix that she
believes reflects some ancient thoughts on going and stopping functions,
probably reflecting ancient myth and tradtion about Morgan life.

Prof.  Darwin beleives she can explain this whole +4+ phenomenon as a case
were some small herd of Lotuses (or Lotei) had strayed far beyond their
normal range and had begun mating with the Morgans.  It appears that the
Archaic Humans did not appreciate the resulting hybred (these folk appear to
be very highly tradition-bound, abnormally so), hunted and killed the the
quick-footed Lotus and finally sacrificed the hybred offspring before further
damage could be done. In this, she was very convincing; her interpretation I
think is brilliant.

Thus, she concludes, we see not only the result of biological evolution
but also cultural selection operating here in a way no one had dreamt of
before. Especially at such an early time. It is causing quite a revision
of the theory of natural selection and will undoubtedly change the way we
think about life on this planet in general.

She is continuing her work at the site and hopes to have some more data
soon especially concerning the subspecies bifurcation of 4/4 and +4.  We
can only await more information from this brilliant woman.

Bob Alexander
'67 +4