RE: coolants

To: <DB35PA@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: coolants
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:11:37 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Don,

I've always used a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze and never had a MMM
car overheat. Water Wetter is fine and increases the heat transfer from
coolant to the surrounding metal. In my TD, I've found almost a 15 degree
difference, but if you're not overheating, you really don't want to let the
coolant temp drop below about 185 C. Lower than that decreases the
efficiency of the combustion process. As long as you are not boiling over,
there is little point to it, but if you are overheating, you should fix the
real problem.

I also have found that NAPA carries an alternative to Water Wetter called
NAPA Kool. It's used in large trucks, comes in quart cans, and is a fraction
of the price of Water Wetter and does just as good a job.

About to fire up the PA, eh?

Cheers,
Lew Palmer