Re: MG PA pistons

To: <DENKLEMM@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG PA pistons
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:17:03 +1100
Cc: <Kellmg@aol.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dennis

I think you're right at the utter limit for a PA (single breather) block.

Our PA block was at +60, and with some fear and trembling we had it bored to
+80 (ie 20 thou more than factory max recommended).  It's run some 200 Km
since then and hopefully will be OK for a long time, but the walls could be
very thin in places. I much comforted to hear that early PBs had PA blocks
bored to 60mm: ours is only 59.032mm!

It's possible to test (I think ultrasonically) the wall thickness: talk to
you engine man.

We got our pistons and rings from J P Engineering Products in South
Australia. Very helpful, knowledgeable and quick. Also sympathetic when I
broke a ring (you need to be #very# careful to get the compressor evenly
tightened) and supplied a replacement overnight. The +80 piston + rings
listed at A$93 each.

Phone: 61 8 8261 7222   Fax: 61 8 8261 9171  They have a web site but I
can't find the address at the moment.  Usual disclaimer.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2 (yes, it's got a PA engine), TA, TC