RE: Red Engine Paint

To: "'mg-mmm@autox.team.net'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Red Engine Paint
From: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:28:12 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

        On the risk of opening up a new can of worms. I've recently pulled
apart the gearbox on my L2 which had not previously been dismantled (not
botched). After I got the castings cleaned up it was apparent that I still
had lots of factory original paint on the bottom of the bellhousing, alloy
gearbox case and rear cover plate. ( everything above the floorboard lever
had multiple coats of brushed-on paint.

        At any rate, the shade of red exactly matches my sprayed out samples
of MG Autumn red.  This is the dark shade of red used on T-types and is also
very close to standard T-type engine paint.  The remaining original paint
was applied without primer which I believe is what MG did.  I did check all
engine bits very carefully but nothing was really conclusive as too many
shades of red had been overpainted.  I beleive the engine was sprayed along
with the gearbox as an assmbled unit. Surviving paint was the same dark red
shade on all parts so I don't think heat has changed the color, although
years of caked on grease may have had an effect.

        I was generally pleased with the condition of my gears however
considering I'm going for some serious HP, would feel better with a new
cluster gear as the straight cut cogs on first & second have lost approx.
1/8" of length.  Is anyone doing these?   Barry Linger seems to be the
gearbox guru but I'm not sure he is still doing gears for these.

        Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan
Product Development