RE: MG PA pistons

To: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>, <DENKLEMM@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MG PA pistons
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:09:41 -0400
Cc: <Kellmg@aol.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
First let me say I am not a MMM expert. However, I have had a similar
problem with an XPEG TF-1500 engine where the bores were already +0.060"
 theoretical maximum ) and had excess taper. Since I was building a race
engine I did not want to sleeve back to standard. So I simply determined the
minimum honing required to straighten out the bores and bought special size
pistons to fit. These worked out to +0.065" and I did not have to re-sleeve.
The pistons were ordered from Venolia in California. Five race seasons and
the engine is still going strong in my TC.
If the PA engine was OK at +0.118", would it not be OK at +0.125" ? You
could check the bore wall ultrasonically for thickness to be sure.
Regards, Bob Grunau

Dennis,

I agree with Brian and John James, you would be pushing your luck to bore
your existing block another 20 thou'. You wouldn't go through into the water
jacket while boring but you'd be left with such a thin cylinder wall that
you'd knock a hole through very soon. If it was mine, I'd sleeve the block
and then bore it back to its original 57 mm. I'm told that Chevy short block
sleeves fit very easily, though I've never used them myself. The 8 thou'
taper in the bores is wear from use, you don't bore them that way.

Cheers, "Bob".

> Let me try to be clearer. The block that came out of my PA is a single
> breather. The pistons that came out of it measure 2.359" (60 mm is 2.362"
&
> 57 mm is 2.244") My pistons are already .118 oversize. The machine shop
wants
> to bore it out .020 more. The bore of the block has an .008" taper. Could
> this be a PB block and how do I tell the difference? What do I have here?
> Thanks
> Dennis
> PA1518

---