Re: Handbrake cross-shaft

To: cnowlan@mossmotors.com, DENKLEMM@aol.com, pmullen@telus.net
Subject: Re: Handbrake cross-shaft
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:19:11 EDT
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/9/02 14:50:06 Pacific Daylight Time,
cnowlan@mossmotors.com writes:

<< Has any one determined that none of the UK suppliers stock the
 really correct bearing?  I know I need one for my L2.  >>

As I said before, the needle bearing on the off side, is not really a bearing
at all, at least not the type we are familiar with.  It was just a bunch of
hardened needles (probably hand cut) set in grease and then assembled in the
cross shaft, the inner race was the "plug" which screwed in to the center of
the cross shaft from outside the chassis rail.  Many of my needles were
missing and the rest were rusted to the center pin or the cross shaft.  If
some one found a caged needle bearing to replace this half-a**ed attempt at a
bearing, use it at least on the off side.  Uncle Bob Rich recommended to me
that I get some piano wire of the right diameter and cut needles to fit but
my cross shaft and plug were so rusted and rough that I took Mike Allsions
advice and turned out a bronze bearing to substitute.  I also turned down the
plug to get a smooth surface.  This is a very poor application for a needle
bearing in any case being mostly static, brinelling is very likely to occur.

Chris, if you haven't determined if your inner shaft that is used to adjust
the brakes with the thumb screw is free, you are in for a most happy time
freeing it up!!
Cheers
Terry