healeys
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Healeys] BANG!

To: Michael Salter <michael.salter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BANG!
From: Jim Ryan <ryan@jimryan.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2026 15:41:08 -0400
Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none d=jimryan-com.20251104.gappssmtp.com; s=20251104; t=1789760478; x=1790365278; darn=autox.team.net; h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to :references:mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to :content-type; bh=KysMao/DvP908inbvglP/3OeEUAGcONvznhOMTfipv4=; b=iGw+e6nnxcLuenBhDL9jyq0+LiVGuCoyD52Knv1jm6/ZOFFY4SGMjEfGAY9MOIhkmE npLTEUs+qVsNStM5LC4GPtKr81AJ/C4NkUYw+vzZVpdE/EUTq7oraafhYhZv+/ydP7I4 nlNlTX81gyWeDMPWfNZDXnSu/t2bQHM8LH6BDNOKMxDiCUHfXbNPPJYvPhw3v++NG/Ad UujPmRvMubtuSUy2tvCvKxBBiuQKI8xElnun7JVlu114R7D5FE0656f+BL4LsxWM/ByG WzgUhAki84BE2O6Mb6Xy0HuWP+IQnvjnQAuJrD4525eeiDjFhtOm8NWc5Kup+Y28L0we TbiQ== d=1e100.net; s=20260707; t=1789760478; x=1790365278; h=content-type:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to :references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc :subject:date:message-id:reply-to:content-type; bh=KysMao/DvP908inbvglP/3OeEUAGcONvznhOMTfipv4=; b=pYFijZUHxyXY/+72nhJTvQwLq61+ONmWz3QVIyZSmaChsPWRGNW/Uy3L578WZt7ZUv OnrxQTxOIYzNzqMEBKUhGOZEQc6sNWSKUT4CrSq/9YrU2eRKy03APK+Lbz8y1QyeNmcA OiHUtHarbz6p9XznHOXTeSjoeRVDQuM0lIypdZXxqiff9Gd+JXhWme06OoSSyih+GuPP TYJ+IfbZV35NCvXArBhnG9efNzdgfPe6spNq15BanY5aL75Ckwkep49X2ccPOLNyM9wC rjVXOchs39R5xfBc+8M86fQWAsP4gQp/TmFZ6PsA034MmztQfFWSH0cGwQ9sgb7qIBYC UGWA== AKwUvBz6va1z8aUSrj+U0ekDUMDoYj8V914Iw0uKfurAXDnKif230Vb+n29HYXxFLq/cjtU4dR4Xfpyf@autox.team.net 3GZsX8FW22hH1JNcMSfJIoSlURgjTrTJRgGeO0NdCgKMq57xPLaW4X8CkiGpkv11h2lZ68LLFq3 K4J82wuIy/FMA/8pk07EMKaZld9kudxhwHMpFIk4Icg== C5wun1IhDuW/ULlqucrUxhb6I3Lz/5oRekN6kLEwzgiS4nPVqMj1BFU3OTvDvbDHyb4IdjxdsXD vZIOnZRSuRJ3BZ2uf6/p019Hv6lsLT91vBNhd8vmtL3KGg+wVM5g4S4x1YvPo3t0e9OdztsfrfR r1iulHvvEIVgM7QRuvJKg5HjEMgsmOC9ZK/H/fyGXXLCGK1oq1CE+3C73MIRCLzyYjdh8mKx3on RZQY0eM4PFcw3HY7c/9/PWfjjqceLZt8KNV2UcTrgE226RAbcvtlxIv7ldEFXxHx/P45x0SZWvI iDgiikkCPX6DdmHQz4Z/VuEKgU+yipN9hj8L2azvVoy1uuA== adf61e73a8af0-3dd8c47dd66mr7512961637.36.1789760478156; Fri, 18 Sep 2026 12:41:18 -0700 (PDT)
Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327; h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references bh=KysMao/DvP908inbvglP/3OeEUAGcONvznhOMTfipv4=; fh=LfIvDFe201IQ9hSgTSJGbGWEhEOKTvyMUMz5m3M+mwU=; b=gpGrZ+qLZ9ahNtw2zT0ijaSQmJxpaGiSLe61UR8EYaQjM6aMjk48IUzI9RCEm/zrXf X1OwfkPtH1JcjRQpUCL7RIgm3D54UMSi6Jp8lLohRjxAguUMh2UGNLZdnJGViiXH2Ony a2sW6Bw7VBxMUArILK5tzc24EHpy5tp7xmQgQ10cranOy6+eHydTSAqBZbJCj9V58Iob C+omT/edP5SXcxvaL1ut+Twz6lkQdFaRSZtXVAajEpQtWpNJgfJYtmLUulyxRd31buwf P0IiF+bNmwkZK1QkmwQMu/7XnADVy8026JkRx13YT4Ic+xefJax4PYZGImmAh26uhT5i XxDg==; darn=autox.team.net
Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1789760478; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20260327; b=bH5/ba3BK5MuVmB3tsR0wFcaHURzeTtxxryanNow49UblKtc+DDVXkj7jLDmXjk5fB Wx1XvdoqZBj4LC97VlTt+HbVv4gaH/9f1ZrbV+vm7PLXDLcJs985NWLuBJOW7K092JDt ZYxzLp5VCI7e2au/WrrInFdvXsCwyzWLyJpEmSeNMPANRFz7gBWX+M1Xqk1sFaqIo75d M5sJ1m7W+I346o0LngkYnPtsUBiPVWktTDRnD2lkxvUZ70OHYDwWAqunb7tYhkcJBuP2 /asisFXiXbyNVqmCgvLHcL07hi+x4h0wcXlayEwQOL8COXjxOlgOtD6hbS63+Fj/Ut6c kwjg==
Authentication-results: autox.team.net;
Cc: Richard Antal <rantal243@yahoo.com>, List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Delivered-to: mharc@autox.team.net
Delivered-to: healeys@autox.team.net
References: <946871525.950079.1789681080018.ref@mail.yahoo.com> <946871525.950079.1789681080018@mail.yahoo.com> <007d01dd4756$8bdc8ef0$a395acd0$@alexarevel.plus.com> <CHAPR12MB9992236BE42526F93C545D5334A1872@CHAPR12MB999223.namprd12.prod.outlook.com>
--===============3949719448751578056==

--00000000000088a6f8065bc7157f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hey Rich, I had a wire wheel on my my bj7 that spun the splines clean on
the axle on the car just sat there. But I don't remember similar noise to
what you described.

Anyway, let us know how you make out at Competition Motors. I'm also in
Portsmouth. I'd love to hear what your experience is like.  I currently
have a 58 bugeye that I've been getting serviced at foreign Motors on
Sagamore road in Rye since Brit Bits went away

Jim Ryan

=C2=A9=C2=BF=C2=A9=C2=AC

On Fri, Sep 18, 2026, 10:55=E2=80=AFAM Michael Salter <michael.salter@gmail=
.com>
wrote:

> After thinking carefully about your experience I'm inclined to think that
> there are 2 likely scenarios.
> First is that the clutch disc failed and the center spline broke away. I
> had this happen on my Bugeye race car on the start line and the symptoms
> were exactly as you describe. I had just enough forward momentum to pull =
to
> the side to avoid being annihilated by the Mustang starting in behind me
> in the 2nd row. =F0=9F=98=B3
> The other likelihood, although fairly unlikely in a Big Healey, is that a
> halfshaft broke. This is usually evident by one rear wheel developing a
> little negative camber.
> Do let us know what is found.
>
> M
>
>
> ------------------------------
> *From:* Healeys <healeys-bounces@autox.team.net> on behalf of Simon
> Lachlan via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
> *Sent:* Friday, 18 September 2026 06:14:52
> *To:* 'Richard Antal' <rantal243@yahoo.com>; healeys@autox.team.net <
> healeys@autox.team.net>
> *Subject:* Re: [Healeys] BANG!
>
>
> I had something quite similar recently. No =E2=80=9CBANG=E2=80=9D, but so=
me very nasty
> noises indeed. In my case, the carbon thrust bearing thingie was giving u=
p.
> One of its clips was half on/half off. Luckily, MOWOG(?) in their wisdom
> allowed for the future invention of an endoscope. There is a suitable hol=
e
> in the casing through which you can insert yr scope and inspect the beari=
ng
> or whatever else may be in bits!!
>
> At a guess, you could do it from underneath if the car was high enough. M=
y
> car is a BT7 so removal of the tunnel cover is a bore but not the drama
> that I=E2=80=99m told it is in a BJ8 so I went in from above.
>
> Best of luck anyhow, Simon
>
>
>
> *From:* Healeys <healeys-bounces@autox.team.net> *On Behalf Of *Richard
> Antal via Healeys
> *Sent:* 17 September 2026 22:38
> *To:* healeys@autox.team.net
> *Subject:* [Healeys] BANG!
>
>
>
> Salutations fellow Healeyphiles,
>
>      I came to a stop sign on the steep uphill slope and wanted to enter =
a
> busy road with a lot of traffic going 40mph. A window of opportunity
> presented itself finally. The stick was in 1st, my foot on the depressed
> clutch pedal. I
>
> quickly move my right foot from. the brake, gunned the engine and quickly
> released the clutch. The car lurched forward the saluted me with a loud
> bang which I could feel through the floor and immediately became lost
> propulsion. No response to the stick in any gear. The initial lurch allow=
ed
> me to ooze across the road and get most of the car out of traffic. The
> engine was running just fine. AAA to the rescue. I and my 65 BJ8 rode to
> Competition Motors in Portsmouth NH where they do extensive work on vinta=
ge
> cars of all makes. I await their diagnosis. What happened? What horrendou=
s
> bill am I looking forward to? Thanks for your wisdom.
>
> Rich Antal
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys
> http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys
>
> Healeys@autox.team.net
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ryan@jimryan.com
>
>

--00000000000088a6f8065bc7157f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto"><div>Hey Rich, I had a wire wheel on my my bj7 that spun =
the splines clean on the axle on the car just sat there. But I don&#39;t re=
member similar noise to what you described.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto"><b=
r></div><div dir=3D"auto">Anyway, let us know how you make out at Competiti=
on Motors. I&#39;m also in Portsmouth. I&#39;d love to hear what your exper=
ience is like.=C2=A0 I currently have a 58 bugeye that I&#39;ve been gettin=
g serviced at foreign Motors on Sagamore road in Rye since Brit Bits went a=
way</div><div><br></div><div data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D=
"ltr"><p style=3D"font-size:12.8000001907349px"><span style=3D"font-size:10=
pt;color:navy">Jim Ryan<u></u><u></u></span></p><p style=3D"font-size:12.80=
00001907349px">=C2=A9=C2=BF=C2=A9=C2=AC</p></div></div></div><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr=
">On Fri, Sep 18, 2026, 10:55=E2=80=AFAM Michael Salter &lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:michael.salter@gmail.com">michael.salter@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left=
:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">



<div>
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-sys=
tem,Roboto,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(33,33,33)">
After thinking carefully about your experience I&#39;m inclined to think th=
at there are 2 likely scenarios.=C2=A0</div>
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-sys=
tem,Roboto,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt">
<span style=3D"color:rgb(33,33,33)">First is that the clutch disc failed an=
d the center spline broke away. I had this happen on my Bugeye race car on =
the start line and the symptoms were exactly as you describe. I had just en=
ough forward momentum to pull
 to the side to avoid being </span><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0)">annihil=
ated by the Mustang starting in behind me in the 2<sup>nd</sup>=C2=A0row. =
=F0=9F=98=B3</span></div>
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-sys=
tem,Roboto,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
The other likelihood, although fairly unlikely in a Big Healey, is that a h=
alfshaft broke. This is usually evident by one rear wheel developing a litt=
le negative camber.</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-system,Roboto,Ar=
ial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)" dir=3D"auto">
Do let us know what is found.</div>
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-sys=
tem,Roboto,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
<br>
</div>
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-sys=
tem,Roboto,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">
M</div>
<div id=3D"m_6602196220042998815ms-outlook-mobile-body-separator-line" styl=
e=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-system,Roboto,Arial,Helve=
tica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt" dir=3D"auto">
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-sys=
tem,Roboto,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt">
<br>
</div>
</div>
<div style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-system,Roboto,Ar=
ial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(33,33,33)" id=3D"m_660219=
6220042998815ms-outlook-mobile-signature" dir=3D"auto">
<div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-family:Aptos,Aptos_MSFontService,-apple-sys=
tem,Roboto,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(33,33,33)">
<br>
</div>
</div>
<hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
<div id=3D"m_6602196220042998815divRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font face=3D"Ca=
libri, sans-serif" style=3D"font-size:11pt" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> =
Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_bl=
ank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; on behalf of=
 Simon Lachlan via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Friday, 18 September 2026 06:14:52<br>
<b>To:</b> &#39;Richard Antal&#39; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rantal243@yahoo.co=
m" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">rantal243@yahoo.com</a>&gt;; <a hre=
f=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">he=
aleys@autox.team.net</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; targ=
et=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] BANG!</font>
<div>=C2=A0</div>
</div>

<div lang=3D"EN-GB" link=3D"#467886" vlink=3D"#96607D" style=3D"word-wrap:b=
reak-word">
<div>
<p><span>I had something quite similar recently. No =E2=80=9CBANG=E2=80=9D,=
 but some very nasty noises indeed. In my case, the carbon thrust bearing t=
hingie was giving up. One of its clips was half on/half off. Luckily, MOWOG=
(?) in their wisdom
 allowed for the future invention of an endoscope. There is a suitable hole=
 in the casing through which you can insert yr scope and inspect the bearin=
g or whatever else may be in bits!!</span></p>
<p><span>At a guess, you could do it from underneath if the car was high en=
ough. My car is a BT7 so removal of the tunnel cover is a bore but not the =
drama that I=E2=80=99m told it is in a BJ8 so I went in from above.</span><=
/p>
<p><span>Best of luck anyhow, Simon</span></p>
<p><span>=C2=A0</span></p>
<div>
<div style=3D"border:none;border-top:solid #e1e1e1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm;font-size:pt">
<p><b><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">From:</spa=
n></b><span style=3D"font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif"> Healeys &=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=
=3D"noreferrer">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
<b>On Behalf Of </b>Richard Antal via Healeys<br>
<b>Sent:</b> 17 September 2026 22:38<br>
<b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=
=3D"noreferrer">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] BANG!</span></p>
</div>
</div>
<p>=C2=A0</p>
<div>
<p><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-s=
erif">Salutations fellow Healeyphiles,</span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-s=
erif">=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I came to a stop sign on the steep uphill slope a=
nd wanted to enter a busy road with a lot of traffic going 40mph. A window =
of opportunity presented itself finally.
 The stick was in 1st, my foot on the depressed clutch pedal. I=C2=A0</span=
></p>
</div>
<div>
<p><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-s=
erif">quickly move my right foot from. the brake, gunned the engine and qui=
ckly released the clutch. The car lurched forward the saluted me with a lou=
d bang which I could feel
 through the floor and immediately became lost propulsion. No response to t=
he stick in any gear. The initial lurch allowed me to ooze across the road =
and get most of the car out of traffic. The engine was running just fine. A=
AA to the rescue. I and my 65 BJ8
 rode to Competition Motors in Portsmouth NH where they do extensive work o=
n vintage cars of all makes. I await their diagnosis. What happened? What h=
orrendous bill am I looking forward to? Thanks for your wisdom.</span></p>
</div>
<div>
<p><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-s=
erif">Rich Antal</span></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

_______________________________________________<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferr=
er">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
<a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</a><br>
<br>
s/ryan@jimryan.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://=
autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/ryan@jimryan.com</a><br>
<br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000088a6f8065bc7157f--

--===============3949719448751578056==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys 
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

Healeys@autox.team.net
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys



--===============3949719448751578056==--

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>