healeys
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Healeys] BANG!

To: "'Richard Antal'" <rantal243@yahoo.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BANG!
From: Simon Lachlan via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2026 11:14:52 +0100
Authentication-results: autox.team.net; header.i=@alexarevel.plus.com header.b="nHgqwHiq"; header.i=@alexarevel.plus.com header.b="CI9l9zXl" unprotected) header.d=alexarevel.plus.com header.i=@alexarevel.plus.com header.a=rsa-sha256 header.s=en header.b=nHgqwHiq; header.i=@alexarevel.plus.com header.a=rsa-sha256 header.s=en
Delivered-to: mharc@autox.team.net
Delivered-to: healeys@autox.team.net
Gateway-id: 2E6C34214B-1789726476
References: <946871525.950079.1789681080018.ref@mail.yahoo.com> <946871525.950079.1789681080018@mail.yahoo.com>
Thread-index: AQGli6PPd8xTI4HmdYsre8dGm1NscQHOoeXttzUexcA=
This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============7305992367678805216==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_007E_01DD475E.EDA1BA40"
Content-Language: en-gb

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_007E_01DD475E.EDA1BA40
        charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I had something quite similar recently. No =E2=80=9CBANG=E2=80=9D, but =
some very nasty noises indeed. In my case, the carbon thrust bearing =
thingie was giving up. One of its clips was half on/half off. Luckily, =
MOWOG(?) in their wisdom allowed for the future invention of an =
endoscope. There is a suitable hole in the casing through which you can =
insert yr scope and inspect the bearing or whatever else may be in =
bits!!

At a guess, you could do it from underneath if the car was high enough. =
My car is a BT7 so removal of the tunnel cover is a bore but not the =
drama that I=E2=80=99m told it is in a BJ8 so I went in from above.

Best of luck anyhow, Simon

=20

From: Healeys <healeys-bounces@autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Richard =
Antal via Healeys
Sent: 17 September 2026 22:38
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] BANG!

=20

Salutations fellow Healeyphiles,

     I came to a stop sign on the steep uphill slope and wanted to enter =
a busy road with a lot of traffic going 40mph. A window of opportunity =
presented itself finally. The stick was in 1st, my foot on the depressed =
clutch pedal. I=20

quickly move my right foot from. the brake, gunned the engine and =
quickly released the clutch. The car lurched forward the saluted me with =
a loud bang which I could feel through the floor and immediately became =
lost propulsion. No response to the stick in any gear. The initial lurch =
allowed me to ooze across the road and get most of the car out of =
traffic. The engine was running just fine. AAA to the rescue. I and my =
65 BJ8 rode to Competition Motors in Portsmouth NH where they do =
extensive work on vintage cars of all makes. I await their diagnosis. =
What happened? What horrendous bill am I looking forward to? Thanks for =
your wisdom.

Rich Antal


------=_NextPart_000_007E_01DD475E.EDA1BA40
        charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"; =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta =
name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered =
medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:Helvetica;
        panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0cm;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        mso-ligatures:none;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-GB =
link=3D"#467886" vlink=3D"#96607D" style=3D'word-wrap:break-word'><div =
class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>I had something quite similar =
recently. No =E2=80=9CBANG=E2=80=9D, but some very nasty noises indeed. =
In my case, the carbon thrust bearing thingie was giving up. One of its =
clips was half on/half off. Luckily, MOWOG(?) in their wisdom allowed =
for the future invention of an endoscope. There is a suitable hole in =
the casing through which you can insert yr scope and inspect the bearing =
or whatever else may be in bits!!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>At a guess, =
you could do it from underneath if the car was high enough. My car is a =
BT7 so removal of the tunnel cover is a bore but not the drama that =
I=E2=80=99m told it is in a BJ8 so I went in from =
above.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Best of luck anyhow, =
Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><div><di=
v style=3D'border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0cm =
0cm 0cm;font-size:pt'><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span></b><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> Healeys =
&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Richard Antal =
via Healeys<br><b>Sent:</b> 17 September 2026 22:38<br><b>To:</b> =
healeys@autox.team.net<br><b>Subject:</b> [Healeys] =
BANG!<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif'>Salutations=
 fellow Healeyphiles,<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif'>&nbsp; =
&nbsp; &nbsp;I came to a stop sign on the steep uphill slope and wanted =
to enter a busy road with a lot of traffic going 40mph. A window of =
opportunity presented itself finally. The stick was in 1st, my foot on =
the depressed clutch pedal. I&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif'>quickly =
move my right foot from. the brake, gunned the engine and quickly =
released the clutch. The car lurched forward the saluted me with a loud =
bang which I could feel through the floor and immediately became lost =
propulsion. No response to the stick in any gear. The initial lurch =
allowed me to ooze across the road and get most of the car out of =
traffic. The engine was running just fine. AAA to the rescue. I and my =
65 BJ8 rode to Competition Motors in Portsmouth NH where they do =
extensive work on vintage cars of all makes. I await their diagnosis. =
What happened? What horrendous bill am I looking forward to? Thanks for =
your wisdom.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Helvetica",sans-serif'>Rich =
Antal<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_007E_01DD475E.EDA1BA40--


--===============7305992367678805216==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys 
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

Healeys@autox.team.net
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys



--===============7305992367678805216==--


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>