healeys
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [Healeys] BANG!

To: simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BANG!
From: David Nock <healeydoc@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2026 06:42:53 -0700
Authentication-results: autox.team.net;
Cc: Richard Antal <rantal243@yahoo.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Delivered-to: mharc@autox.team.net
Delivered-to: healeys@autox.team.net
References: <007d01dd4756$8bdc8ef0$a395acd0$@alexarevel.plus.com>
--===============1559062518397130230==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit


--Apple-Mail-D3371639-9DA7-49C6-916E-13C164DC3740
        charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Sounds like a broken axle.=20

Driveshaft universals would have been hive you a klunk noise for a long time=
 before breaking.=20

David Nock

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 18, 2026, at 4:07=E2=80=AFAM, Simon Lachlan via Healeys <healeys@au=
tox.team.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> I had something quite similar recently. No =E2=80=9CBANG=E2=80=9D, but som=
e very nasty noises indeed. In my case, the carbon thrust bearing thingie wa=
s giving up. One of its clips was half on/half off. Luckily, MOWOG(?) in the=
ir wisdom allowed for the future invention of an endoscope. There is a suita=
ble hole in the casing through which you can insert yr scope and inspect the=
 bearing or whatever else may be in bits!!
> At a guess, you could do it from underneath if the car was high enough. My=
 car is a BT7 so removal of the tunnel cover is a bore but not the drama tha=
t I=E2=80=99m told it is in a BJ8 so I went in from above.
> Best of luck anyhow, Simon
> =20
> From: Healeys <healeys-bounces@autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Richard Antal v=
ia Healeys
> Sent: 17 September 2026 22:38
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] BANG!
> =20
> Salutations fellow Healeyphiles,
>      I came to a stop sign on the steep uphill slope and wanted to enter a=
 busy road with a lot of traffic going 40mph. A window of opportunity presen=
ted itself finally. The stick was in 1st, my foot on the depressed clutch pe=
dal. I=20
> quickly move my right foot from. the brake, gunned the engine and quickly r=
eleased the clutch. The car lurched forward the saluted me with a loud bang w=
hich I could feel through the floor and immediately became lost propulsion. N=
o response to the stick in any gear. The initial lurch allowed me to ooze ac=
ross the road and get most of the car out of traffic. The engine was running=
 just fine. AAA to the rescue. I and my 65 BJ8 rode to Competition Motors in=
 Portsmouth NH where they do extensive work on vintage cars of all makes. I a=
wait their diagnosis. What happened? What horrendous bill am I looking forwa=
rd to? Thanks for your wisdom.
> Rich Antal
> _______________________________________________
> Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys http://autox.team.net/archi=
ve/healeys
>=20
> Healeys@autox.team.net
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeydo=
c@gmail.com
>=20

--Apple-Mail-D3371639-9DA7-49C6-916E-13C164DC3740
        charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html class=3D"apple-mail-supports-explicit-dark-mode"><head><meta http-equi=
v=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body dir=3D=
"auto">Sounds like a broken axle.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Driveshaft univer=
sals would have been hive you a klunk noise for a long time before breaking.=
&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>David Nock</div><div><=
br></div>Sent from my iPhone</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"c=
ite">On Sep 18, 2026, at 4:07=E2=80=AFAM, Simon Lachlan via Healeys &lt;heal=
eys@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:<br><br></blockquote></div><blockquote type=3D"=
cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D=
"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft W=
ord 15 (filtered medium)"><style>@font-face { font-family: Helvetica; }
@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }
@font-face { font-family: Calibri; }
@font-face { font-family: Aptos; }
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm; font-size: 12pt; fon=
t-family: Aptos, sans-serif; }
span.EmailStyle18 { font-family: Aptos, sans-serif; color: windowtext; }
.MsoChpDefault { font-size: 10pt; }
@page WordSection1 { size: 612pt 792pt; margin: 72pt; }
div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; }</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D"Ms=
oNormal"><span style=3D"mso-fareast-language:EN-US">I had something quite si=
milar recently. No =E2=80=9CBANG=E2=80=9D, but some very nasty noises indeed=
. In my case, the carbon thrust bearing thingie was giving up. One of its cl=
ips was half on/half off. Luckily, MOWOG(?) in their wisdom allowed for the f=
uture invention of an endoscope. There is a suitable hole in the casing thro=
ugh which you can insert yr scope and inspect the bearing or whatever else m=
ay be in bits!!<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"m=
so-fareast-language:EN-US">At a guess, you could do it from underneath if th=
e car was high enough. My car is a BT7 so removal of the tunnel cover is a b=
ore but not the drama that I=E2=80=99m told it is in a BJ8 so I went in from=
 above.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"mso-farea=
st-language:EN-US">Best of luck anyhow, Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3D=
"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"mso-fareast-language:EN-US"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></sp=
an></p><div><div style=3D"border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding=
:3.0pt 0cm 0cm 0cm;font-size:pt"><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><b><span style=3D"fo=
nt-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">From:</span></b><span style=3D"fon=
t-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif"> Healeys &lt;healeys-bounces@autox.=
team.net&gt; <b>On Behalf Of </b>Richard Antal via Healeys<br><b>Sent:</b> 1=
7 September 2026 22:38<br><b>To:</b> healeys@autox.team.net<br><b>Subject:</=
b> [Healeys] BANG!<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><=
o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:10.=
0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-serif">Salutations fellow Healeyp=
hiles,<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D=
"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-serif">&nbsp; &nbsp=
; &nbsp;I came to a stop sign on the steep uphill slope and wanted to enter a=
 busy road with a lot of traffic going 40mph. A window of opportunity presen=
ted itself finally. The stick was in 1st, my foot on the depressed clutch pe=
dal. I&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span st=
yle=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-serif">quickl=
y move my right foot from. the brake, gunned the engine and quickly released=
 the clutch. The car lurched forward the saluted me with a loud bang which I=
 could feel through the floor and immediately became lost propulsion. No res=
ponse to the stick in any gear. The initial lurch allowed me to ooze across t=
he road and get most of the car out of traffic. The engine was running just f=
ine. AAA to the rescue. I and my 65 BJ8 rode to Competition Motors in Portsm=
outh NH where they do extensive work on vintage cars of all makes. I await t=
heir diagnosis. What happened? What horrendous bill am I looking forward to?=
 Thanks for your wisdom.<o:p></o:p></span></p></div><div><p class=3D"MsoNorm=
al"><span style=3D"font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Helvetica&quot;,sans-s=
erif">Rich Antal<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><span>____________________=
___________________________</span><br><span>Support Team.Net http://www.team=
.net/donate.html</span><br><span>Suggested annual donation &nbsp;$12.75</spa=
n><br><span></span><br><span>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</span><br><span></span><br><span>Healey=
s@autox.team.net</span><br><span>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/heal=
eys</span><br><span></span><br><span>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.n=
et/mailman/options/healeys/healeydoc@gmail.com</span><br><span></span><br></=
div></blockquote></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-D3371639-9DA7-49C6-916E-13C164DC3740--

--===============1559062518397130230==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys 
http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys

Healeys@autox.team.net
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys



--===============1559062518397130230==--

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>