Re: Early Seven Frame Number Detail

To: chapman-era@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Early Seven Frame Number Detail
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 06:53:34 -0700 (PDT)
In my discussions, "Frame" refers to the tube frame
built by the outside supplier to Lotus. Its number is
stamped into the tube itself, or a 1 x 1.5 inch plate
welded to a tube in various places depending on
vintage) and supposedly has no bearing on what number
Lotus assigned to the car.

"CHASSIS, Body, or VIN" Number appears stamped or
scribed into a 3 x 4 inch plate which was rivetted in
the engine compartment under the master cyliders by
Lotus and is their designation for the car.

The seller of the car tells me that these two numbers
should match, but everyone else I've heard from says
they shouldn't!

My concern is that the car I'm looking at seems to
have matching numbers, which suggests that some
previous owner looked at the FRAME number, and the
produced a CHASSIS plate to match it, thinking that
was the proper number to use!

If anyone can explain this more correctly, please do
as I haven't decided yet what the car is worth based
on its dubious numbers...

John Donohoe
(considering purchase of '62 Seven S2 #SB1135, frame
#135?)

http://invites.yahoo.com/