Re: Early Seven Frame Number Detail

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Early Seven Frame Number Detail
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:20:05 -0700
john donohoe wrote:

> Hello Capt'n Larsen (Svensk eler Norsk?),
>
> thank you for your reply...
>
> I'm in Michigan and this is the first early Seven I've
> seen advertised locally.
>
> I'm wary because I've learned that the previous owner
> has traded the car back to the dealer from whom he
> bought it two years ago. And that owner also is the
> one who registered it with John Watson of the Seven
> registry.
John Watson has a copy of the factory specification.
Mike does too.  John solicited current information
from owners to add to his archive.  Those who registered
added our information to the existing records.

> Furthermore, the dealer (whom the previous owner
> describes as "Mr Lotus Seven") specifically told me
> that the VIN (body/chassis) number should match the
> Frame number.
Nope.  The frame number will indicate whether it was
built by Progress Chassis or Arch Motors.  There may
have been a third frame builder, this isn't clear in
my memory.
 To quote Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
> "Ooooh, it makes me wonder"
>
> Thanks for the input, you can bet that I'll be eager
> to share my good fortune if all turns out well and I
> happen to buy the car.
One of the coolest things about owning a Lotus is
Lotus owners.  I met Flemming on the Lotus List
around 1994.  Met Mike around 1988.  Great people.
There are many more out there that I haven't met
in person but will some day.