Re: So what IS going to happen to the Miata in 2003?

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Subject: Re: So what IS going to happen to the Miata in 2003?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:22:54 -0700
On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 01:55:02PM -0700, Michael R. Clements wrote:
> The RX-8 is a cool car, but it has 4 doors and more weight than the
> Miata. Since the primary benefit of a rotary engine is superior power to
> weight ratio, it belongs in a light, nimble car. With a rotary powered
> Miata, Mazda could really heat up Super Stock again at the Nationals
> level.

While that's a no-brainer for you and me, Mazda really wants the RX-8
to succeed.  I think they are relying in part on the mystique of the
RX-7 to sell it.  Now if they have two $30,000 cars, once of which is a
Corvette-hunting roadster and one of which is a 4-seat sedan with
gimmicky doors, which one is going to appeal to those who have been
awaiting the return of the RX-7?

Word from Mazda is that they've been thinking about it, but it's not
going to happen until the RX-8 is well established.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94