Re: MSD

To: gmapes@ball.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MSD
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:39:07 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/2001 6:17:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
gmapes@ball.com writes:

<< Any comments? >>

I strongly suspect, as I mentioned in my earlier post that under heavy load
conditions (likely at the higher rpms), the mixture wasn't completely
burning.  The Perlux solved some of the problem, and the MSD may have solved
it further.  This particular application was one where an improvement was
documented.

However, I'm 100% certain that you can find other applications where there
would be either NO change, or even see some decline in HP.

Also, the total increase was 5.9HP.  This is 9.4% of the total measured.  I
know dyno operators like to brag about the accuracy and consistency of their
dynos, but practically speaking, 5% is a best case scenario from run to run
(matching all conditions exactly), and some are lucky to do 10%.  So, these
results should be tempered by experimental error and the ability to measure a
small number reliably.  Knowing how many runs were made, and how the numbers
were computed is important.  If they did only 3 runs, the data is highly
suspect.

The MSD increase, for example is only 1.6HP out of 62.7, or 2.5%.  If this
number came from the average of 10 pulls or so, I'd believe it.  If it was
only 1 run, I think its below the noise level of the experiment, and cannot
be relied on.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128