Re: Wire Wheels

To: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:47:44 +0100 (BST)
Gents,

It isnt an inertia thing under braking at all. If you think about what
happens under braking, the wheel stops and the spinner wishes to carry on.
On the right hand side of the car, the spinner will want to go clockwise,
but that will LOOSEN the LHD. You always know when the spinners arent
tight because they seem to fall off as you stop hard at the lights.

The answer to the original problem about why the spinners are getting
tighter lies in the design of the Rudge Whitworth hub. If you assume the
spinner is a bit loose and you are driving along at steady speed, the
conical area where the wheel meets the centre is where the clever bit is.
Because the two peices are travelling at the same RPM, but due to the fact
that they are slightly loose, one travels a slightly bigger radius, the
overall effect is to tighten the spinner. A more detailed explanation I
have read somewhere (VSCC Bulletin I think).

If more proof is needed, there was a similar French wheel design, where
the cone was reversed. Then you had the left hand thread on the left hand
side, not the rudge way. Several people restoring Amilcars have put the
wrong hubs on the worng side as a consequence

Oh, and you can overtighten the spinner with too many blows of the hammer

I hope this helps

Geraint

Dr Geraint Owen
Department of Mechanical Engineering