Re: Bearing Problems - Help!

To: "JOHN HAMILTON" <hamilton@mail.nfdc.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bearing Problems - Help!
From: "Robert Alder" <alder_rj@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:32:28 -0600
In a Formula Ford I went through a similar experience several years ago.  We
believe it may have been due to the oil pump foaming the oil.  It's a dry
sump system with an external pump.  We believe the oil line fitting where
oil from the reservoir entered input side of the pump may have been sucking
air.  At one point I noticed the reservoir, AFTER it was good and warm, was
like  a chocolate soufflé.  When cold or in the shop, look OK, but after it
got real warm, very foamy.  On track would still have pressure, but
apparently very low quality lubrication.  At least that was the theory.
Replaced the pump and no more problems.

Good luck. It's a bummer changin' engines so often.  But . . . you do get
good at it, huh?
Bob Alder - RMVR