Bearing Problems - Help!

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Bearing Problems - Help!
From: JOHN HAMILTON <hamilton@mail.nfdc.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:11:09 -0400
I'm stumped and so are all my friends. Have Volvo, B18 (1800cc) full
race engine, Oberg filter, Accusump, baffled pan and big oil cooler,new
high pressure pump. I'm on the third engine this year (one per race).
Runs fine initially then eats both main and rod bearings.Engine is
properly clearanced including endplay by a professional builder who is
also at his wit's end. We have checked crank for straightness, line
bored the mains, balanced and rebalanced the crank and entire
reciprocating assembly and we still get bearing meltdown after, say an
hour or so of racing. Assembly and reassembly are done under almost
"clean room" conditions.Holds 80 lbs. of pressure at idle when new then
drops when bearings start to go. Ran well at Mosport this past weekend
and held pressure until last race when warning light went on and
pressure was at 30 lbs. and going South. Oil temperature has been high
at 240 - outside temperature was over 100. Oberg is full of bearing
remains. We have also checked all passages for restrictions.There are
approximately 7 quarts in the system. I run the engine above 7200 rpm's
but have been doing that for twenty-five years without this kind of
problem. Anybody have any ideas short of demonic possesion? I keep going
back to the Oberg - cooler - Accusump circuit eventhough this setup has
been on the car for five years without problems until this year. No
notion is too wild. Winning idea gets team T-shirt and a percentage of
saved psychiatric bills.  Thanks in advance,
John Hamilton