Re: Vintage/Historic 24-Hour Race

To: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage/Historic 24-Hour Race
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (James A. Isbell)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:15:22 -0500
Okay,  I am interested.  BUT..... I was looking for a Formula car "real"road
race.  But, I will settle for this if its the best I can do.

If it includes Formula cars and they are separated from the Corvettes and
Ferraris and all those big boats that make Formula car drivers quake in
their boots as they scream past without seeing you.  I will not race on the
same track with closed wheel cars, it is just too dangerous.  I did it once
and all I saw in my mirror was huge headlights and grills (made me go
faster, that's for sure!).  I have no quarel with them racing, I just dont
want to race WITH them, it just isnt safe for the Formula cars.  Their roll
cage and fenders make them immortal and they can't see a damned thing from
way up there in the clouds.

Please, no flames, I am not slaming closed wheel racers, its just that we
race differnetly when our ass is 1" above the fuel cell and that is in turn
2" off the ground and there is nothing but some aluminum and fibre glass and
a couple of pieces of angle iron between us and the other guys car.  What is
just a bump to a sedan can cause serious dammage and serious change in
trajectory for a Formula racer.  I have been knocked clear off the track by
a tap that I almost didn't feel.
--
                                                            Jim

  "Better an outlaw than not free."