Re: [TR] Theft Prevention

To: list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Theft Prevention
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:41:56 -0500
On 29 Oct 2006 at 9:45, Paul Dorsey wrote:

> It sounds like you don't use LO-Jack because...

In fact, I did have Lo-jack on our previous minivan.  The car was
never stolen so I don't know how effective it would have been.

> But, what bothers me from your scenario is that the police use your
> stolen car for 'bait' to lure the thieves back into the area.

It isn't that they plant the car somewhere to lure the thieves back.
They simnply watch it for a few days after they've found it instead
of impounding it right away.

Mind you, these are possible scenarios expressed to me by various
sources when we were examing the anti-theft options for our present
minivan.  I can't swear that any particular police force actually
does or doesn't do this.  It may be different for different towns or
different local trends in auto theft.  They might retrieve a classic
car right away but watch a popular model that is especially hot in
the used-parts market at that time.  (I once had a set of Toyota
hubcaps stolen from a rental car in an Orlando hotel parking lot.
Apparently that was a hot item, people buying used, quite likely
black-market, hubcaps to replace the ones stolen, maybe even buying
back their own hubcaps!  They were at least keeping that particular
market active.)

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com