Re:Buying an abandoned car from a garage?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Buying an abandoned car from a garage?
From: Craig Foch <cbfoch@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:16:48 -0800
When I was a mechanic, I once bought a BMW 320i that had been abandoned
at my shop by a former employee. The shop owner got a lien on it,
waited a legally-required period for the owner to claim it (I forget
how long, but no more than a month), and then auctioned it. I bought it
for the minimum $35.00 bid (the owner's cost for filing the lien). The
California DMV issued a new title with no hassle.

The car turned out to be no bargain, but that is another story...

Craig Foch
San Luis Obispo
1963 Triumph TR4
"Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller

===     http://www.vtr.org