Re: Buying an abandoned car from a garage?

To: "Craig Foch ;triumphs@autox.team.net" <cbfoch@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Buying an abandoned car from a garage?
From: James Ruffner <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:20:14 -0500
Craig Foch wrote:

> When I was a mechanic, I once bought a BMW 320i that had been
> abandoned at my shop by a former employee. The shop owner got a lien
> on it, waited a legally-required period for the owner to claim it (I
> forget how long, but no more than a month), and then auctioned it. I
> bought it for the minimum $35.00 bid (the owner's cost for filing the
> lien). The California DMV issued a new title with no hassle.
>
> The car turned out to be no bargain, but that is another story...
>
> Craig Foch
> San Luis Obispo
> 1963 Triumph TR4

I own a couple of BMWs that have been superb cars, very low maintenance,
and great performers.  My latest acquision is a Z-3 3.0L, which I got
because it is so much a kindred sprit to my 1960 TR-3A, in attitude,
style, heart and soul.  It is where Triumph should have gone with the TR
roadsters.  But the 320s were complete dogs!  $35 would have been expensive!

 Cheers.

===     http://www.vtr.org