Buying an abandoned car from a garage?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Buying an abandoned car from a garage?
From: "Jeremy Kinney" <kinneyjr@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:48:27 -0500
I would like to get the collective wisdom of the list if I may.  I've
noticed a nice Triumph at a local garage.  The garage owner says the car's
owner has "disappeared" and cannot be located and the garage will probably
end up legally owning the car.  Is there anything I can do to speed the
process along or do I just play the waiting game until if and when the car
actually becomes available?

I want to do everything above board and would like to know if anyone has
acquired an abandoned car from a garage and if they have any
advice/experience to share.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy Kinney
'71 GT6 Mk 3