RE: TR3 transmission rebuild

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 transmission rebuild
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:15:53 -0700
> There really is no magic in a gearbox, a bit of patience and improvisation
> to remove the front circlip and you are away, don't forget to follow the
> instructions on freeing the OD before starting to tear the box down.

Graham, I am going to disagree with you here ... even though I have
(successfully) done my own, Herman showed me several little things to check
for that are not mentioned in the book ... and one of them was wrong on my
transmission.  Took a special spacer to fix it ... Herman has the facilities
and stock to make them while I don't.  This very likely explains why my
rebuild only lasted 50K or so; I expect Herman's to go 150K+

There are also several A-type OD operations that are beyond the shade tree
mechanic ... like replacing the center bushing in the housing and boring it
to be concentric with the shaft.  And, it's very easy to ruin the housing by
forgetting to remove the check ball before removing the pump.

> but with any and all reconditioners I know of they will replace
> as little as possible to ensure a good profit margin,
> if a gear is serviceable but not
> perfect you could change it they would re use it,

This is one of those areas where Herman can be a bit irritating ... he will
not reuse a part if there is any doubt whatsoever about it.  It has to be
perfect or he won't put it in.  And since he always works on time &
materials, there is no incentive for him to take shortcuts either.

He also has the experience to know when the parts supplied by the "big 3"
are marginal (like synchro rings and some bearings), and has developed his
own sources of quality parts.

IMNSHO of course :)
Randall