re: TR4 questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Spitlist@gte.net
Subject: re: TR4 questions
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:23:50 EST
Joe,
Regarding your TR4 CT21476LO find .. I believe only TR6 seats, for one year,
had the 'fold down' head rests.
Sounds like you have a pretty normal 1963 TR4.. Actually with OD, it is not
normal - it is DELUXE!
Regarding carbs - about half way through production TR4s came with Strombergs
- and for a little while - some were even 'open breathers' like the TR3s
until first 'closed system' was intro'd about CT23000.
The particular overdrive made for TR4s in '63 was one of the best models in
my opinion (check tag number) - it has the large accumulator (later they
reduced it's size to save all the vulnerable u-joints in IRS based cars ie;
TR4A-250-6s) which made it softer and slower to engage. Racers prefer the
faster, more positive engaging OD you're talking about.
Yes! I think you should restore it!
What it's worth? The way it looks, probably a couple hundred to a couple
thousand (if heavily promoted). Parted out you'd get more money - which might
be all spent on advertising, dismantling, eBaying, VTR'ing and shipping!
My personal choice would be to see it restored to it's full original glory
(we need more fine examples of late production TR4s!).
I agree: roll bar should be removed. If anti-sway bar is a crappy one might
remove it too.
At CT21560 all your factory developed improvements to motor, body,
suspension, interior had been made. It's a fine-tuned keeper.
It most likely would cost $10,000 to fix it up and could be worth $10,000 to
$15,000 when done - the pleasure of driving it of course - priceless!
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
CT22326L soon with O

>>THe car has a commission number of CT21476LO and engine number
CT21560E.  So it appears that the engine is very likely original.  It
appears by the commission number it is a '63 model, but there are
several things about the car that make me curious.....
......All comments are welcome.
Regards,
Joe <<