RE: TR4 questions

To: "Joe Curry" <Spitlist@gte.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 questions
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:45:41 -0800
>  It is a solid axle car but has all the markings removed from the back
>  end, including the bumpers.

IRS was not an option until the TR4A; the TR4's rear suspension was nearly
identical to the TR3, with the only real difference being longer axle tubes
and halfshafts.

>   The engine has ZS carbs.  I thought early TR4's all had SU's.

According to the Moss catalog, the change to ZS was at CT21470E, so this car
would be just past the change point.

>   From the sketchy description, is the car worth restoring or should it be
>   a parts car.  Some of the parts might be valuable in someone else's
>   resto.

Sounds pretty restorable to me.  You'll have to find a front clip, of
course, which shouldn't be too hard to find but probably will cost a few $$.

>   What is it worth considering the unknown condition of the engine and OD
>   gearbox?

I'm by no means an expert, but I'd say something in the range of $1000-2000,
maybe more.  Just a core OD tranny is $500+ and they survive neglect pretty
well, it might even be workable.

Randall