RE: Power outlet in a TR3a

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Power outlet in a TR3a
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:41:25 -0700
> My current question is I want to install a 12v power outlet under the dash
> to plug my cell phone into.  What ,in the lists' opinion, would be a good
> circuit to hook the -ve side of the outlet to?  The +ve will be
> going to the body earth.

Obviously you need to be very careful with this, since the body of the
outlet is going to be 'hot' with respect to the car body/chassis.

I would recommend using an in-line fuse with your outlet (add one if there
isn't one already present), and getting power from one of the ammeter
terminals.  (Preferably the load side, brown/white wire.)

If you don't add a fuse, then second-best would be to go through the
firewall, to terminal A2 on the fuse block.  That way, the outlet would be
at least somewhat protected by the horn fuse.

If you're only going to power a cell phone, a 5 amp (US rating) fuse should
be adequate.  But check your cell phone documentation to be sure.

Randall