RE: Ignition fault question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition fault question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:02:38 -0700
Cc: "Dan Masters" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Mickylong@aol.com asked :
> A quick (I hope) question:  After having my battery disconnected
> on my 6 for
> about three weeks while I re-did my interior I reconnected
> tonight, started
> her up and saw that the ignition light now stays on.  My Bentley
> manual says
> this signifies a fault in the charging system that needs to be checked
> immediately.

Randall replied :

Mickylong@aol.com replied :
> Thanks for the quick reply.  I checked voltage and I'm getting a solid 15
> volts there.  My dash gauge is also showing solid charge at idle that
> increases under acceleration.  So I guess I keep looking.  Is it possible
> that I've somehow introduced a short in the system -- I did have
> the whole
> interior out and had disconnected seat belt connections and
> interior light
> connection.  My instincts tell me this isn't the problem since a
> short would
> cause a failure or blown fuse, but I'm not sure where to look next.

15 volts is actually a bit on the high side, what's the battery voltage
measure (both engine running and engine off) ?

The light on the dash is connected between the brown/yellow wire and the
ignition circuit, it should come on only when there is voltage on one and
not on the other one.  Obviously there's 12v in the ignition circuit (or the
engine wouldn't run) and you've measured 15v in the brown/yellow.  So it
seems there must be a wiring error to the lamp.

I'll second the motion to buy Dan Master's TR6 electrical book :
Dan Masters
1051 Vera Dr.
Alcoa, TN 37701
(865) 982-9373
DANMAS@aol.com

Dan has dropped off the mail lists, but he knows TR6 electrical far better
than I do.  His book is a most valuable resource, especially if you have a
TR6.  It may well be the only source of accurate schematics for US-spec TR6.

Randall