RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?

To: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:07:26 -0400
Cc: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Hugh Fader
>Hi Dave. I just got back from a test run listening closely to the pitch of
the whine. It is definitely road speed related. I shifted 3-4-3-4 while
coasting and the whine stayed the same. Here's another condition where I
hear the sound: If I'm in neutral, coasting, and move the shifter almost
into gear with the clutch disengaged, I begin to hear a quieter whine with
the same pitch. This is accompanied by the jingle sound I mentioned in an
earlier post.

I'm getting more confused. I guess that shifting into gear even with the
clutch disengaged puts a small load on the differential. But I don't have
an
explanation for the jingle sound just yet.

Another question: Since the main shaft speed also varies with road speed,
couldn't my noise be coming from it's gears?

Maybe I'll muster up the courage to try Bill Wellbaum's suggestion of
running the car up on 4 jack stands and getting under to listen.
<

When you are in neutral with the clutch depressed the clutch disk is either
stopped or turning very slowly.  When you move the shifter towards a gear
you engage the synchro ring which will spin up the clutch disk (and all the
gears associated with the gear selected) which puts a load on the
differential.   And the oil in the gearbox will offer up resistance to the
gears turning which also loads the differential.

Don't forget that when the gearbox is in fouth the input shaft is connected
directly to the output shaft and there are no gears loaded to cause a whine
that would change with load.

You may have to get a helper to work the gas and clutch while you are under
there but I'll still bet $10.00 to a doughnut (adjusted for inflation) that
it is the diff.  That should be a comfort because a diff repair (or
replace) is less trouble and money than a transmission.

Cheers

Dave