RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?

To: "INTERNET:hfader@usa.net" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:05:25 -0400
Cc: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:hfader@usa.net
>Well, it's looking more like doughnuts than dollars here.

I went out and jacked up and removed the right rear wheel. Left the parking
brake on so the rear wheels couldn't move. Got underneath and jerked the
drive shaft back and forth. Seemed like quite a bit of play. Not in the
u-joint, but at the output of the differential. Also, each jerk was
accompinied by a "plink" sound coming from the vicinity of the
differential.
I'm guessing many of these "plinks" together make the jingle sound I am
hearing while driving.

Oh, also it needed a bit of oil. I filled her up and took a test drive, but
no improvement.

This leads to a few more questions:

How much play in the drive shaft is normal?

How long do I got doc?

Should I replace it with used or rebuilt or try to rebuild it myself?

If I go with a used unit, how do I assess its condition?

Thanks everyone for the help.
<

Well, the question is "is it getting any worse?"  I drtove my MG for years
with that whine but it was the result of a poor setup.  Lack of lub can
cause the same thing and it will run fine for years (once you top up the
oil).  But if it is caused by a failing pinion bearing it can go fast.

Just how low were you in oil?

In any case you might want to start looking for a spare differential and
they are fairly easy to change (unless the custom exhaust is in the way).

Cheers

Dave