RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?

Subject: RE: Whine in gearbox or differential?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:20:19 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Another question: Since the main shaft speed also varies with road speed,
> couldn't my noise be coming from it's gears?

With the gearbox in neutral, there are no gears that turn at output shaft
speed.  All the transmission gears (except reverse) are driven by the input
shaft all the time, the gear shift just picks which one is locked to the
output shaft.

Running it up on jackstands isn't as scary as it sounds.  Just be sure you
have the stands with the cast jaws and welded body.  The stamped sheet metal
ones aren't safe IMO.  BTW, HF has the taller 6 ton stands on sale for
$19/pair at the moment.

Randall