Re: Electric Fan

To: frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Fan
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:05:32 EST
In a message dated 1/28/2001 11:42:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au writes:

> However, I am, as usual, happy to be set straight... And I'm not against
> electric fans per se, it's just I can't see how you could possibly gain any
> benefit
> in terms of horsepower - I can see the benefits to cooling ability as the
> fan is

Frank,

All else being equal, an electric fan will consume more power than a
mechanical fan, for reasons you mentioned. However (and there's always a
however, isn't there? <g>), things are seldom equal. Driving your car in stop
and go traffic on a hot summer day, the electric fan will be on all the time,
as would a mechanical fan, consuming more power. On the other hand, on an
open road, at a fairly high speed on a cool day, the electric fan will be off
(assuming you're using a thermostat control), but a mechanical fan would
still be "on," even though it isn't needed. Enough air will flow through the
radiator to keep things cool without a fan. The mechanical fan would be
consuming a fair amount of power under these conditions, while an electric
fan that is off would be consuming none.

Whether or not you "free-up" horsepower depends on the driving conditions. On
a hot day at the race track, driving flat out, I don't know if an electric
fan would turn on or not. Depends on a lot of factors, I guess. I would
assume a well prepared car would have sufficient cooling without the fan. On
an autocross course, usually driven hard at a relatively low speed, I would
think the electric fan would be on if the weather is hot, so you would
probably actually lose power with an electric fan, compared to the mechanical
fan.

Something to think about, anyway.

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
http://members.aol.com/danmas/
MGBV8 Newsletter:
http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm