Re: Fuel Leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Leak
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:01:06 -0500 (CDT)

    > In a message dated 22-Aug-99 12:55:26 Eastern
    > Daylight Time, Paulwillou@aol.com writes:

    >> I have only had my TR4, my first, for 11 days.  Smelled
    >> fuel this morning.  Popped hood and found that the fuel
    >> pump/filter made by "AC, made in England," was leaking.
    >> There were 6 screws on top that were loose.  I
    >> tightened them up and the leak seems to have stopped.
    >>
    >> Is this normal?  Does the fuel pump need to be
    >> replaced?

    ArthurK101> Paul, not a big problem on the fuel pump.
    ArthurK101> Sounds as if the screws just worked loose.  If
    ArthurK101> it does not leak and the fuel is flowing
    ArthurK101> freely after you tightened them I wouldn't
    ArthurK101> worry. If it loosens again or does leak --
    ArthurK101> replace the daiphragm.  Also be aware that the
    ArthurK101> original fuel pumps (which you might have) are
    ArthurK101> scarce.  The repro pumps do not have a priming
    ArthurK101> lever (used to fill the carb float bowls if
    ArthurK101> they become empty).

On both of my vehicles using this style pump (The TR and the
LR) the PO had (I believed) misplaced one or more of the split
lock washers for these screws.  I've replaced them and never
had this problem again.  Am I a future DPO for installing this
bodge, or did they actually come with lockwashers from the
factory?
                                                        -MM