Re: how do I patch leaking gas tank

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: how do I patch leaking gas tank
From: "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:08:43 -1000 (HST)
Well, the first attempt was to glass the outside.  That worked for
a while, but eventually started leaking.  Of course, trying to just
add more glass worked for shorter and shorter periods.  So I
decided to get serious.

What I did was first, I cut a hole in the top so I could get an
electric drill in there.  Then I used a 3M abrasive impregnated
plastic grinding wheel to descale and derust the inside.  It
was in fairly rough shape, especially around the seam.  To
seal it up I went to the local airport maintenance facility and
got some stuff that looks like RTV and is made to seal
aircraft fuel tanks.  It's fairly expensive so you don't want to
waste it.  After I sealed up the inside I replaced the piece I cut
out of the top and  sealed that up from the outside.  It seems
to work pretty good.

scott s.
.