RE: wiring question

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: wiring question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:17:51 -0400 ()
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Peter Zaborski wrote:

> > Are you still running with the original mechanical fuel pump?
> Yes. (And I already have the spin on adapter - leak-free so far). It is
> just that I seem to drive my car on weekends only and so usually go a
> few days between running the engine.

Oops! I'd meant to add that, if you had converted to an electric fuel
pump, it could be switched as well to help prevent the possible scenarios
I conjured up. However, even this would be of dubious value, as the engine
conceivably could run (or the cylinders "fill up") for some time on
whatever fuel is left in the float bowls from the last run of the engine.
But switching the fuel pump could be a safety and/or theft prevention
measure.

> I never considered that. Does this really happen or do the carbs and/or
> fuel pump valves prevent an overflow of unburned fuel from reaching the
> cylinders if the engine is nor running? I assumed excess fuel is not
> going to be a problem but perhaps I am wrong and the fuel does just keep
> flowing as you crank the engine?

With a regular fuel pump and carburetors, there is nothing to "tell" the
fuel system not to allow fuel to be drawn into the cylinders when the
engine is cranking, be it via starter or via combustion. The fuel pump
valves hopefully will keep the carburetor float bowls from overfilling,
but that's all.

--Andy