Re: Re[2]: Oil cannister leak

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Oil cannister leak
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 10:43:51 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

>      Bob, do you mean to tell me that you cannot change the oil filter
>      itself unless the fuel pump is removed? (I'm talking about the stock
>      set-up here)?

Yes.

And no. The diameter and length of the _canister_ are too long/wide/whatever
to clear past the fuel pump, the steering column, the frame - generally
any direction - to allow you to remove the canister itself. The filter
element, having smaller dimensions will come out okay without taking
things apart.

The other way that a lot of folks do the filter change is to loosen the
canister, roll it around so that you can pull the fileter element out the
top and then flip it over to drain the oil all over the inner fender,
frame, gas filter, etc. They then wipe the canister clean with rags...
install the new filter element and gasket and put it all back together.

I'm a bit more fussy than that, and I do whatever is necessary to remove
the canister so that I can clean it with solvents.

>      Jeff

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |