Re: Throw-out bearing noise?

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing noise?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:18:10 -0500 (EST)
Cc: John Reynolds <JohnTempe8@worldnet.att.net>, jbonina@nectech.com, blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Bob Kramer wrote:

> As a side note, this is the transmission that I once disassembled and
> replaced a broken top hat bush and reassembled thinking "I've found and
> corrected the problem". The problem wasn't corrected, so I've been
> double clutching since 1994.

And the problem was - - - ??? I'll take a WAG and suggest that you're
getting grinding when you shift from first to second? Maybe from third
down to second??? The possibilities are limitless. Which is it?

> The only damage I found is worn sliding
> hubs

Were they loose  on the shaft or were there wear patterns on the "teeth"?

> and the 2nd gear synchro (one of the new lightweight types) lost
> all of it's tabs.

Aha! I'll bet the end float was set too tight for the 2nd / 3rd bushings.

> This '73 tranny had a steel 1st gear bushing, and had
> brass top hat and 3rd bushings.

So it was probably rebuilt at least once... if you have a transmission
that was built with bronze (brass) bushings for 2nd/3rd, 1st should be
bronze too.

And whatever you do, don't mix bronze with steel for the 2nd/3rd
bushings, unless you want to do the job again "real soon"!

> Surprisingly, the used top hat I put in
> was still intact. Needless to needed, I'm spending over $400.00
> (without buying any gears). The '72 had all brass bushings.

I've pretty much decided that I'll replace the top-hat every time I
remove the "circlip from hell" for the 2nd/3rd bushings... doing so
guarantees the correct end float which reduces the number of potential
future problems... and at $25 -$30, it's cheap insurance.

> Anyone need a rebuilt '72 tranny? I have a brand new laygear assembly
> for it (the layshaft took out the inside of the old one, and it looks
> nice otherwise. Needs new bushings, synchros, thrusts and bearings,
> nothing that $400 in parts can't fix.

The real reason that I'm replying to this message is: if you swap layshaft
gears, make sure you swap the corresponding mainshaft gears!! Somewhat
like a camshaft/lifters the gears form a wear pattern, and I've been told
that you must swap them in sets.

As for the $400 in parts, yep - yer right. This is one reason and one
area where it is okay to get a rebuilt unit that is built by someone that
knows what they are doing (and I do not mean to imply anything by that,
really). A person up our way only charges $650 for a rebuilt unit with a
guarantee... so that saves you (potentially) hours to other things for a
measly $250 - $300.

I have to admit, though, there is a certain satisfaction in doing the job
yourself...

Gotta go measure the synchro wear on the tranny in my TR6 now... third
grinds a bit when I shift quickly.... I'll be the synchro is worn.

> Bob Kramer, Austin TX

See ya.
rml

p.s. I'm putting the "magic clutch" in this weekend. I'll report success
to the Triumphs list.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |