Re: Throw-out bearing noise?

To: John Reynolds <JohnTempe8@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing noise?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:17:34 -0500 (EST)
Cc: jbonina@nectech.com, blang@MIT.EDU, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, John Reynolds wrote:

> I had a similar noise in my '71 TR 6.  Turned out to be a worn layshaft
> which was beginning to tear up the needle bearing.  Another symptom was
> small "crunch" going into reverse.  Caught it before any gears were damaged
> and it still cost about $500.  Wish I had looked for a trans with O/D
> before the rebuild.

Yes, but the worn layshaft scenario almost always gives you noise whether
the clutch is in or out... a lot of noise - in fact the harder you lean
on it, the louder it is - until the wind noise exceeds the transmission
noise...

> John Reynolds
> 80 degrees in AZ today, top is definitely down.

Yah, sure, rub it in. It's "cloudy" in Boston today - with a good chance
of frozen precip. Blah.

But I'll bet you don't go top down when the temps are in the >100F range!

Have fun either way.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |