Re: Throw-out bearing noise?

To: bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Throw-out bearing noise?
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 98 12:48:31 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry Schwartz wrote:
        > Normally If it's a throw-out bearing the noise will be present when
you
        > DEPRESS the clutch.  That's when this bearing is being used, and
therefore
        > will make noise when bad.

That is interesting.  When I had my clutch rebuilt 7 years ago, the
mechanic had trouble finding OE throw-out bearings and had to use a
"lesser" bearing (I think he said Borg & Beck - I didnt know ANYTHING
about Triumphs back then!).  From day 1, it has made a noise when
I depress the clutch which sound to me like the clutchplates rattling.
It has made that sound for 7 years and 20K miles and with seemingly
no other problems.

Should I be worried?  *gulp*

        Shane Ingate in San Diego