Re[2]: Throw-out bearing noise?

To: "bschwart@pacbell.net" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, "bollen@ibm.net" <bollen@ibm.net>
Subject: Re[2]: Throw-out bearing noise?
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 6:47 -0800
Cc: "jbonina@nectech.com" <jbonina@nectech.com>, "Triumphs@autox.team.net" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Jeff writes:
> >     When in neutral and clutch pedal is up there is a "noise". Some might
> >     call this a bad bearing if they heard it. When the clutch pedal is
> >     depressed, the noise disappears. (ah, the sound of silence).
>   < snip >
> **********************************
> Jeff,
> Normally If it's a throw-out bearing the noise will be present when you
> DEPRESS the clutch.  That's when this bearing is being used, and therefore
> will make noise when bad.  When the clutch pedal is at rest, and everything
> is PROPERLY adjusted, this bearing does nothing but sit and wait till you
> press the pedal again. The noise you describe sounds like either the input
> shaft bearing or the counter shaft bearing (s) both of which will disappear
> when you depress the clutch because these stop spinning.  Either one is
> reason to repair/replace, and fairly soon or other more sever (expensive)
> damage WILL , not may, result.  It's just a matter of time-
>
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net

Thats what I always thought, but my TR8 had the same noise and it
disappeared when the clutch was replaced.
Gentlemen - If you think about the relationship of the throwout
bearing to the diaphram spring, it is conceivable that the bearing
could make noise when the clutch is not depressed.  Remember, that
when the clutch is "at rest" (not depressed), the throw out bearing is
not necessarily not in contact with the diaphram - it may be lightly
touching it - thus, it may be the case that the bearing is squealing
as it spins lightly, but as you add pressure, by depressing the clutch
pedal, the force essentially makes the squealing stop.

I just replaced the clutch, TO bearing, etc. on my Honda Prelude ($275
for a clutch "kit" - OUCH!) and had a similar problem.  After looking
closely at the relationship of the parts, I concluded that in fact the
TO bearing does rest lightly against the fingers of the diaphram
spring.  Ergo, that must be where the noise came from.  Just my $.02
worth.....

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe