Re: Air Filter questions

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Air Filter questions
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 15:01:22 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Trevor,

At 21:37 4/03/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Glenn A. Merrell wrote:
>>
>> Hello Alan,
>>     Check your local parts house and ask them for the K&N cataloge.
>> Spend the bucks for a K&N filter setup, it is permanent, washable, and
>> increases performance, bu reducing flow restriction.
>
>  ...at the expense of filtration.

Wrong! K&N's (and the much cheaper foam sock air filters) achieve their flow
performance with a large surface area. The foam is impregnated with a very
viscous oil, to trap particles, but not air. I haven't heard anything bad
about them, in terms of engine wear, and you can hear the difference it
makes to the breathing.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia