Re: TR 4A STRUCK BY VAN

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: TR 4A STRUCK BY VAN
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 07:59:06 -0800
Cc: Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Justin,
That reminds me of an incident that happened to me on base at RAF
Lakenheath, England.  I had just gotten my MGTD back from the Paint Shop
after a beautiful Red (what else) paint job.  I pulled up behind a
Volkswagen Squareback at a stop sign preparing to make a left turn.  The
VW also turned left and I pulled into the space she vacated.

There was street construction on that road and a workman stopped the VW
and told the driver that the road was closed.  So she throws it in
reverse and without looking backs right into my left wing.

Since we were only a block from the Security Police station, an SP
wasn't long in coming.  He had us go to the office and fill out forms.
The lady was very apologetic and admitted full responsibility.  When we
got to the office, she called her husband who was a Lt. Colonel at RAF
Mildenhall a short distance away.  After she got off the phone, she
wouldn't say a word.

A few minutes later a short white haired Lt. Colonel arrives proclaiming
the accident my fault and refusing to turn in a claim on his insurance.
I contacted his insurance Co. and found that they refused to pay even
though the SP report had the wife at fault.  I had to go to the Staff
Judge Advocate's Office and file a formal complaint against the officer
(but no gentleman) and after entirely too long a time was able to get
the guy to pay the deductible on my insurance claim.  Who said rank
doesn't have it's privileges!

Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing