Re: Jumping speedo needle

To: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jumping speedo needle
From: Thomas Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:39:47 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 06:59 PM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Any ideas on what I should check to correct the bouncing of the speedo needle
>on my 79 Spit? The other problem  with the speedo is that I have to tap the
>speedometer to get the needle to begin registering the rpm. TIA
>Thanks to those people that responded to my questions about doing away with
>the monza system (exh) . I installed the falcone stainless system from TRF. I
>did have to shorten the back pipe to get the muffler to line up with its
>mounts. The sound is different- more subdued but very enjoyable.IMHO

Is the problem the speedo or the tach?

The jumping is almost always caused by a rough/dry cable.   Remove,
dissassemble, clean and lub.  (or replace)

The stuck  (Tach?)  is most likly in the gauge itself.   A bit more of a
chanenge.   Can be cleaned with a lot of care.   There are also pros that
do this service.

Thomas Howard
1972 Triumph GT6,
(& a good bit of USA iron)