Re: Jumping speedo needle

To: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Subject: Re: Jumping speedo needle
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:33:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
HMENTZEN@aol.com wrote:

> Any ideas on what I should check to correct the bouncing of the speedo needle
> on my 79 Spit? The other problem  with the speedo is that I have to tap the
> speedometer to get the needle to begin registering the rpm. TIA
> Thanks to those people that responded to my questions about doing away with
> the monza system (exh) . I installed the falcone stainless system from TRF. I
> did have to shorten the back pipe to get the muffler to line up with its
> mounts. The sound is different- more subdued but very enjoyable.IMHO
>
> Hans Mentzen
> 79 Spit   FM92061

Hans,

My son's Mk2 had a problem like you describe.  Initially thought it was
the cable binding inside the housing. That is the usual suspect.  That
was not the case.

I took out the Gauge itself and noticed that the rotating piece inside
the meter was coming in contact with the drum inside of which it spins.
There should be no contact between these 2 pieces.  I tried to fix it
and thought I had at one piont.  But sadly I had to replace the gauge.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (working Speedo, no doors)