Re: Now it won't start!!!

To: Tim Clayton <clayts@vegasnet.net>
Subject: Re: Now it won't start!!!
From: Thomas Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 17:36:33 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 01:56 PM 10/27/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I've been away for awhile (part of my current problem - no doubt)...
>Haven't had time for the TR4 in weeks - and after charging battery and
>checking gas and bowls - decided to fire it up and run it some this weekend.
>Knowing that it would be a little ornery after sitting for a few weeks, I
>already had starter "fluid" at the ready expecting a quick fire-up...   When
>it began sitting it was running fine - needless to say after running almost
>thru this latest charge, it still hasn't fired...  The last try didn't even
>produce a cough.  It's getting spark, fuel is flowing, I'm stumped....

1.  How much fuel?  Could be that there is too much if a float valve is stuck.

Open up a spark pulg or two and take a look inside should not be drowning
just a bit damp.  (carful of sparks,  if you crank it with a plug out a
good bit a gas may come out and possible ignite)

1.a.  Are you pumping gas?  Or has water condensed and settled to the
bottom of your tank?

2.  How do you know you are getting spark?   (Spark at the plug tip, when
cranking.)

3.  Has anything changes since it last ran?   Start there, if so, and work
back.

Thomas Howard
1972 Triumph GT6,
(& a good bit of USA iron)