Re: Rear end of 78 spit

To: PAUL LOGUE <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Rear end of 78 spit
From: "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 19:54:38 -0700
Cc: Joseph R Schneider <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
PAUL LOGUE wrote:

> Like an MD will tell you, I can't tell you what is wrong without an
> examination, but
> I have had a 77 Spit for 12 years and will bet that the problem is:
>
> The inside wheel bearing.   This was bad, bad engineering from the beginning.
> A $1.50 needle bearing which uses the axle as its' race.  When it looses its
> grease, it begins to disintegrate and in most cases, it will take the axle
> with it.  Do not drive the car until you find out the problem......unless you
> have extra bucks and lots of time and a second car.
>
> Paul Logue
> 77 SPit
> Midland, GA

This happened on our 79.  we replaced the entire units with modified
assemblies from Highpoint Imports in NC.  Came complete from Ujoint Yoke
to Hub, except for brakes.  Had new trunions, bearings (modified inner
with race) and Ujoints.  Painted nice and ready to go.  Cost a few
bucks, but not much more than all the parts and time to mess with it.

Brian N.

79 Spit
65 Spit