RE: Rear end of 78 spit

To: "Joseph R Schneider" <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>
Subject: RE: Rear end of 78 spit
From: "PAUL LOGUE" <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 97 23:55:03 UT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Like an MD will tell you, I can't tell you what is wrong without an
examination, but
I have had a 77 Spit for 12 years and will bet that the problem is:

The inside wheel bearing.   This was bad, bad engineering from the beginning.
A $1.50 needle bearing which uses the axle as its' race.  When it looses its
grease, it begins to disintegrate and in most cases, it will take the axle
with it.  Do not drive the car until you find out the problem......unless you
have extra bucks and lots of time and a second car.

Paul Logue
77 SPit
Midland, GA

----------
Like an MD will tell you, I can't tell you what is wrong without an
examination.

I have had a 77 Spit for 12 years and will bet that the problem is:

The inside wheel bearing.   This was bad, bad engineering from the beginning.
A $1.50 needle bearing which uses the axle as its' race.  When it looses its
grease, it begins to disintegrate and in most cases, it will take the axle
with it.  Do not drive the car until you find out the problem......unless you
have extra bucks and lots of time and a second car.

Paul Logue
77 SPit
Midland, GA

(snip)
>Hello everyone,  I have a 78 spitfire that while turning left it sounds
>as though some sort of bearing in the rear is crunching.  I do not know
>but to me it sounds as though some sort of CV-joint is going bad.  Could
>someone tell me what this noise is. Thanx Trevor
(snip)
Trevor-
I know you've heard about u-joints and wheel bearings in this thread, but
this is also the classic place for spider gears (in the differential) to
make noise
this is, of course, a bigger problem than u-joints
I haven't been an LBC owner long enough to talk about the way to
differentiate half shaft u-joint noises from differential noises in a spit,
I hope the LBC veterans on the list have some advice
good luck
Joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC  Ilinois license plates "SPIT BOY"   VTR #11526
*Spit happens*