RE: Rear end of 78 spit

To: "'Trevor Richter'" <papilon@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Rear end of 78 spit
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 17:34:45 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Trevor,

        This is one of many messages you will get saying the u-joints are
suspect.  The Spit has four u-joints total (three with the sliding cv prop
shaft).  The two which make more noise on turns are on the axles at the
differential.  These are (of course) the hardest of the four to change.  The
procedures are lined out fairly well in the manuals (Bentley or Haynes) and the
parts themselves can usually be purchased at your neighborhood parts house.  If
this is an emergency, as in your car is off the road, and you are not all that
mechanically inclined yet (you will be in a relatively short time of Triumph
ownership), you can take your trusty steed in and have it done by a reputable
Brit car mechanic.  Usually in one day (if he/she is not the only game in town)
for @ $100.
        I would recommend you buy one of the manuals, get your hands dirty and
replace them yourself.  The sense of satisfaction and the relief from the
constant clacking will more than pay for the parts and literature.  Plus you'll
be well on your way towards the goal of self sufficiency so important
throughout your starving student days.

Good Luck. and keep us posted....

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar